Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Egg Retrieval



Today was the day!!  We woke up at 4am, took our soapless showers, no lotion, fragrance, and absolutely can't stop for fuel on the way.  The smells are believed to be extremely embryo-toxic.  We follow the same regimen on the day of the transfer. 

So we arrived early...about 5:45 since there's no traffic that early but who ever knows.  Our nurse was so sweet...she got us in our room, I got changed, the anesthesiologist came by, dr. d came by, and it was 7:15 before we knew it.  Oh....and the embryologist that met Gavin the other day came by...she had printed a booklet for him with color pictures that outlined the entire process she taught him the other day....so kind and thoughtful!! 

They gave me silly meds and off we went....I was back in my recovery room before  too long and they came in to tell us they retrieved 14 eggs!!  The sono tech has been estimating 10 so 14 is fantastic!!  Then, dr. d came back in and said 15!  Guess it's like an Easter egg hunt!  

While they were letting me wake up Taylor was whisked away to do his part...oh the joys of unnatural conception!!  Looks like he still had plenty of time to snap this lovely photo of me...thanks babe! 


I've been on the couch napping off and on and drinking lots of water and gatorade as instructed.  Taylor has me on princess status so I'm enjoying every second of relaxing!  


They will be calling in the morning to let us know how many eggs fertilized.  Praying for all 15!!I  Every couple expects that at least 60% of the embryos will arrest before the transfer date.  I pray we have at least 4 by transfer day....2 to put in and 2 to freeze.....then if this cycle isn't successful we would have frozen embryos to transfer which is much cheaper and less toll on my body.....but I'm praying this cycle works!!!  Then frozens could be a sibling a couple of years later. :-) 


We won't know if we are having a 3 day or 5 day transfer until tomorrow or Thursday...If 3 day, transfer would be Friday and 5 day will be Sunday.  It's a long wait!!  


So unbelievable that life is being created right now in a lab...overwhelming!  I am so full of gratitude...thank you Lord for creating this technology.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment